Welcome to My Kitchen

I started cooking 20 years ago, and every day has been a new experience. You might not believe it but i was a person who could not fry an egg...but 20 years on..i feel i can take on any challenge.

I'm constantly trying out new recipes and looking for innovative ways to improvise my dishes and make it more easier. The easier the cooking gets and the less time it takes the more time for me to relax with my loved one.
But easy and quick does not mean compromise on taste or the way a dish is presented. I take great pride in decorating my dishes as i am a firm believer of ' The first impression counts'.

I decided to start this blog to help others like me discover that cooking a feast does not require slogging for hours in the kitchen all it requires is the right ingredients, tools and a creative mind and voila! you will have your family and guests begging for second helpings....

My inspiration for cooking has always been my husband...he loves his food..and like the saying goes 'A way to a man's heart is through his stomach'..i can confidently say it's true and it works wonders for a happy relationship...but he is also my best critic and competition.

I've got two little girls both who love to eat, and my eldest always enjoys helping me in the kitchen. I will try to post more kid friendly recipes that can be fun to eat and make together.

Hope you enjoy this blog and find it useful...please do feel free to leave any feedback or comments...remember there's always room for improvement!!!

Wednesday 2 October 2024

Jamaican Oxtail Stew


This is a mouth watering dish , the oxtail is so soft and tender in a flavourful gravy. It’s fall of the bone tender goodness. Perfect to warm you on a cold winters day. It’s soul satisfying. 


This is a one pot dish that can be cooked in a pressure cooker /ninja/slow cooker.


Ingredients:


1 kg oxtail ( ask your butcher to cut into small pieces)

1 large onion chopped

2-3 spring onions chopped

2-3 garlic cloves chopped finely

1/2 tsp crushed black pepper

Handful of Thyme leaves 

1 stock cube

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp dark soy sauce

6-8 allspice berries

2 tbsp tomato puree

1 whole scotch bonnet chopped finely

1 tbsp honey/ brown sugar- this is to cut the spice 

1 tin butter beans

1 chopped carrot

Salt for seasoning


Method:


  1. Wash the oxtail well. I usually soak for a little while in water and dash for vinegar. Once throughly cleaned, rinse and keep aside.
  2. Marinate the oxtail with the above ingredients besides the honey/sugar, butter beans, carrots & tomato puree. Leave overnight or for atleast 2 hours.
  3. When ready to cook, remove the meat pieces and separate from the rest of the marinade. 
  4. Add oil to a large pot and add the oxtail to brown. Once it has got a nice colour & char, remove and keep aside.
  5. Add the marinade and water, scrape the bottom and make sure you get all the caramelised bits. 
  6. Add the oxtail back in and pressure cook for 10 mins. Release the pressure once done and check, if it’s not tender, pressure cook for further 5 mins.
  7. Add in the butter beans and carrots and let the sauce thicken. Check the spice level and add sugar/honey. Once the carrot is soft and gravy thickened. Take off the heat.
  8. Enjoy with rice & peas and coleslaw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment